Dodgers plan to extend netting


The Los Angeles Dodgers have issued a statement following the recent backlash regarding the extension of safety netting at Major League Baseball games. The topic of extending safety nets has been a hot button issue in the MLB after the past few weeks and after a Cody Bellinger foul ball on Sunday sent a young lady to the hospital, the Dodgers have come forward saying they will extend the netting.

 

“Fan safety is of the utmost importance to the Dodgers and during the offseason, we began the process of studying how the netting at Dodger Stadium could be configured to provide better protection for our fans,” the Dodgers claimed via an official press release on Monday. “Once this study is completed, the team will implement the recommended changes and extend the netting at Dodger Stadium. The team will provide more information on the project timeline and scope when available.”

According to a report from The Orange County Register, Dodgers team president and CEO Stan Kasten said discussions have been ongoing since last year when the netting was extended to the far ends of the dugouts, and plans will be announced “in the next couple weeks” to extend the netting even farther.

“We have been talking for some time with different providers and looking at different options,” Kasten said, per The Orange County Register. “Surely we will be expanding netting. I don’t know yet the final configuration. Obviously, there are some different choices to be made and different products which each come with their own set of challenges.”

The report goes on to say that Kasten does not know the official timing on when the netting will be extended but that it seems “likely” it will be completed before the end of the season. 

The topic of extending the netting at baseball games grew to a crescendo on May 31 when a foul ball from Chicago Cubs outfielder Albert Almora hit an unsuspecting young fan. The image was gruesome and the reaction from Almora was heartbreaking, it has since been reported that the girl suffered a skull fracture. Three weeks following the Cubs incident, the Chicago White Sox came forward as the first team to publicly state that they would extend their netting, followed by the Washington Nationals who announced their plans last week. 

Advertisement


Video News
More In Sports