On Monday, Jan. 11 at 3:25 a.m. Atascadero Fire and Emergency Services responded to a structure fire at the residence of 7705 Aurora Road in Atascadero. Upon arrival, the house was filled with smoke but confined to the chimney. Firefighters worked quickly to cut into the walls to extinguish the flames.

The City reported that this was a close call for the family, as they were sleeping and the smoke detectors didn’t go off. They were awakened by a member of the family who had just returned home from work. No one was injured.

Both Fire Station 1 and 2 in Atascadero responded to the call. Forward movement of the fire was stopped at approximately 3:48 a.m.

“With our dry conditions and cold morning temperatures, now is the best time to make sure your chimneys are cleaned and the batteries in your smoke detectors are checked,” said Fire Chief Casey Bryson. “This is a good example of why that is so important.”

Getting through this together, Atascadero

For more information, please contact Chief Casey Bryson at (805)470-3300