When I first entered North County classrooms as a teacher in the late 1980s, I observed how the arts are part of a well-rounded education. Arts education refers to the disciplines of music, dance, theatre, and visual arts. Even the early writings of Plato emphasized the important role of the arts in education. I believe the arts are part of what makes us most human, or more complete as people. Throughout my career, I have read, participated in, and conducted research that illustrates some of the many reasons why the arts can serve to improve learning in all academic areas.
Brain research data indicates that neural systems that influence fine motor skills, creativity, and even emotional balance are developed through the arts. Judith Burton of Columbia University researched the complex cognition and creative capacities required in the subjects of math, science, and language arts. Her research linked academic achievement and the arts (Burton, Horowitz, & Ables, 1999).
“The arts enhance the process of learning. The systems they nourish, which include our integrated sensory, attentional, cognitive, emotional, and motor capacities, are, in fact, the driving forces behind all other learning” (Jensen, 2001).
My office is committed to promoting the arts by facilitating professional artists working alongside local students in professional settings. A few of the upcoming highlights include:
• A dedicated space for all North County schools will be provided at Studios on the Park to display student art beginning this summer.
• The San Luis Obispo Museum of Art is currently sponsoring AWAKEN, a year-long program celebrating art and community expressed through the imaginative creations of our county’s students.
• On Saturday, May 11 (Mother’s Day weekend), Opera San Luis Obispo will produce the first Countywide Arts Extravaganza. The Opera San Luis Obispo Gala Extraordinaire will feature student artists from throughout the county working with Ballet Theatre San Luis Obispo, Civic Ballet San Luis Obispo, Opera SLO Resident Artists Holly Banfield, Alba Franco Cancel, and Amy Goymerac, in addition to students from north and south county who are involved in school dance, choral, and instrumental programs. The Gala is another example of arts organizations linking hands with education to promote the arts.
For ticket information, visit www.pacslo.org or call 805-756-4849.
I am proud to serve as your county superintendent of schools and to promote the arts.
About The Author
March 1, 2019
February 1, 2019
January 1, 2019
November 14, 2019
Search Atascadero News
- Remembering September 11, 19 Years LaterWhere were you on September 11, 2001? Nineteen years ago, I was getting ready for work at my house on Scott Street in Paso Robles. I was 22 years old. I had no idea what I was looking at or how it would impact all of our lives going forward. As we watched the terror […]
- Local Printing Company Provides Education ServiceCasey Printing in King City is offering packet printing for schools and teachers to assist in distribution of educational materials as they adapt to distance learning initiatives. The post Local Printing Company Provides Education Service appeared first on Morro Bay Life.
- Landmark Morro Bay Restaurant Offers New Takeout ExperienceThe Galley Grab ‘n’ Go offers take-out and delivery in Morro Bay Known as one of Morro Bay’s landmark waterfront restaurants, The Galley Seafood Grill & Bar is adapting to the COVID-19 crises by moving out of the dining room and into local Morro Bay homes with their new takeout experience. Branded as The Galley Grab […]
- Coronavirus Is Spreading – So Are Related ScamsUnfortunately, fraudsters are trying to take advantage of the viral headlines. On January 30, the World Health Organization (WHO) declared the coronavirus outbreak a public health emergency – and unfortunately, fraudsters are trying to take advantage of the viral headlines. New email phishing scams have been reported in which fraudsters are posing as the Centers […]
- Jack of All Trades: Skateboards, Basketball and FilmJack Smith is a pioneer in the world of skateboarding, having been among the first persons to push a board more than 2,300 miles across the U.S. in 1976; then recreating the feat in 1984, 2003 and 2013 along with a solo-push on an electric board in 2018. His boards are preserved at the Smithsonian […]
- Community Members Rally Together To Support One Another During Health CrisisIn the midst of adapting to a changing daily life in the face of the COVID-19 pandemic, community members are rallying to support one another and make sure that those who are the most vulnerable are surrounded by a network of care to meet their daily needs. Giovanni DeGarimore, a third-generation Central Coast native who […]
- New Townhomes Now For SaleMorro Mist offers affordable two and three bedroom homes A new townhomes project in North Morro Bay is nearing completion and showing units now. Located in the 2400 block of North Main St., the “Morro Mist” project consists of 23 units in a mix of one bedroom-one bath, and three bedroom-two bath floor plans. Each […]
- Morro Bay Art Association presents ‘Beyond the Sea’Art is powerful. It has the ability to communicate important social, political and environmental issues in a way that is loud and unyielding in its resolve and at the same time playful and beautiful in its approach. Inspired by our magnificent oceans and our compelling desire to understand and protect them, this exhibit goes far […]
- Rolling Out the Red CarpetMorro Bay Oscar party raises $600 for MBHS Drama Dept. Movie fans gathered Feb. 9 for a viewing party for the 92nd Annual Academy Awards and raised money to support Morro Bay High School’s Performing Arts Department. Hosted by Sabin Gray, owner of the Hooray for Hollywood movie collectibles and memorabilia shop in Dutchman’s Landing, […]
- Morro Bay LandingConstruction complete on new Embarcadero eatery The newest addition to the Morro Bay waterfront is looking for a few businesses to fill some vacant spaces, in what is certainly a unique-looking edifice. Morro Bay Landing, located at 1213 Embarcadero, finished construction in mid-December by leaseholder, Bob Fowler, and completes a total rebuilding of a lease […]