ATASCADERO — The City of Atascadero is gearing up for improvements at Atascadero Lake Park, with construction scheduled to commence on Tuesday, September 12. This beloved park, frequented by both residents and visitors, is home to a range of attractions, including the popular Charles Paddock Zoo.
The City has received a grant of approximately $178,000 under Proposition 68 (California Drought, Water, Parks, Climate, Coastal Protection, and Outdoor Access for All Act) to support this vital project. The funding will be used to enhance the park’s accessibility and replace key infrastructure elements. Planned improvements include:
- Replacement of the pier railing.
- Installation of new deck boards.
- Upgrade of the concrete sidewalk and curb.
- Construction of a new stairway with handrails.
- Creation of an ADA-compliant ramp, connecting the asphalt pathway behind the upper restrooms to a new sidewalk near the boathouse entrance.
- Replacement of the chain-link fencing with matching pier railing, enhancing safety and aesthetics.
This project aligns with the City Council’s commitment to enhance park facilities, a central focus of the 2023-25 Budget. Construction is scheduled to take place on weekdays, with an expected completion date in mid-October. Access to Mr. Putters Boathouse will be maintained during construction and on weekends.