March 5 Primary Election is estimated to be certified around March 27

SAN LUIS OBISPO COUNTY — With the final stretch of election count upon us, the county is anxiously waiting for official certification of the March 5 primary election. According to the San Luis Obispo County Clerk Recorder’s office, that isn’t expeced to happen until about March 27.

Tuesday, March 12, was the final day for vote-by-mail ballots (VBM) postmarked on or before Election Day to arrive at the Elections Office to be counted. By law, the Clerk-Recorder has 30 days from Election Day to certify the election results. Until then, the Clerk-Recorder’s office says they have to complete the following: 

  • Roster scanning and balancing
  • Forwarding VBM ballots to other counties (and receiving and processing those sent here)
  • Provisional ballot research and verification
  • VBM ballot scanning
  • VBM ballot scanning
  • Signature curing
  • VBM ballot processing (removing from envelopes, checking for identifying marks, bundling)
  • Tabulating
  • Adjudication
  • Reporting Results
  • 1 percent Manual Tally

The most recent count of votes shows District 5 County Supervisor candidate Heather Moreno heading further into the lead. She current leads the polls with 54.79 percent of the vote (7,249 votes) against Susan Funk who has the remaining 45.21 percent of the vote (5,982 votes). Over 1,200 votes now separate them.


Moreno is currently serving as the Atascadero City Mayor. She is the second mayor in the city’s history. Funk currently serves as an Atascadero City Council member. They both ran to represent District 5 on the Board of Supervisors, currently held by Debbie Arnold, who did not seek re-election. The district represents Atascadero, Cal Poly State University (portion), California Valley, Creston, Garden Farms, Pozo, San Luis Obispo (portion), and Santa Margarita. 

With Moreno likely taking the District 5 seat and term as Atascadero mayor ending in 2024 anyway, the mayoral position is up for grabs. Current Atascadero Councilmember Charles Bourbeau has already announced his bid for the seat — his term on council also expires in 2024. No other candidates have announced their bid for the mayoral seat yet. However, the nomination period for local elections will open later this year.

Below are election results from the March 15 count, which was available at the time of print.

San Luis Obispo County Supervisor District 1

John Peschong — 100 percent (8,514)

San Luis Obispo County Supervisor District 3

Dawn Ortiz-Legg — 94.48 percent (9,850)

San Luis Obispo County Supervisor District 5

Susan Funk — 45.21 percent (5,982)

Heather Moreno — 54.79 percent (7,249)

Presidential Primary Election Race (County Results)

Democratic Primary:

  • Joe Biden — 93.82 percent (28,530)

Republican Party:

  • Donald J. Trump — 75.84 percent (20,451)
  • Nikki Haley — 20.86 percent (5,624)


  • California US Senate (Full Term) — Adam Schiff is currently leading the race at 37.15 percent with Steve Garvey close behind at 34.38 percent.
  • California US Senate Special (Partial Term) — Steve Garvey is in the lead with 35.97 percent and Adam Schiff follows close at 31.54 percent 
  • Prop 1 Behavioral Health Services Measure — 52.20 percent voting no and 47.80 percent voting yes.
  • California US House District 19 — Jason Anderson is in the lead with 50.11 percent and Jimmy Panetta following with 46.62 percent.
  • California US House District 24 — Salud Carbajal is in the lead with 57.52 percent and Thomas Cole in second with 36.60 percent.
  • California State Senate District 17 — John Laird is currently in the lead with 55.70 percent and Tony Virrueta follows behind with 27.32 percent. 
  • California State Senate District 21 — Monique S. Limon is in the lead with 51.34 percent with Elijah Mack 48.66 percent.
  • California State Assembly District 30 — Dawn Addis is in the lead with 56.83 percent and Dalila Epperson with 43.17 percent.
  • California State Assembly District 37 — Sari Domingues jumped into the lead with 50.86 percent and Gregg Hart 49.14 percent.

For voting inquiries, contact the Elections Office at (805) 781-5228 or Additional information can be found on the Voter FAQ page, and detailed election information at